Goal: A 1.0 Playable Multiplayer ALPHA Version!
I’ve been watching and listening too a lot of talks on game design. I’ve probably learned more in the past two months about what makes a game great than in the past 10 years of making indie games! Here are 3 that I’ve recently listened too. Enjoy!
Originally, this game was to be a 2d clone of games like Rust, Ark and DayZ. However, as I began to research the survival genre I got more and more disinterested in going this direction. I still plan to have all the same survival element features in this game that I’ve discussed in other devblogs and videos – however, they will be presented in a much different way.
I don’t want to give too much away, right now, however just know that this game will not be some kind of a “hardcore” survival game as I previously intended.
Base Building Prototype
Not sure if I’ll keep this or not, but it’s a neat concept! The base design could work like this…
1. You place a cheap starter base
2. Use resources to upgrade it and make it bigger/add more room inside
3. Outside and inside completely customizable
You don’t actually change rooms when you walk into the base. This is nice because you’ll still be able to hear any noise people are making around your base!
I re-worked how “rooms” work for the client and server. Upon players changing rooms: the CLIENT will actually change rooms. The SERVER will just change clients x/y inside of the main server room so it can do proper calculations. I’ve also set up a system using ds_grids that gives each room a unique id. That way I can add special information specific to each room.
I ran into a few issues with this. Mainly with walking. When you’d run into the object to change your room, once you transitioned rooms your character would keep walking with no way to stop him. Had to re-work some code with movement to make this work smoothly!
Players now have cute little shadows. I may play around with these. Maybe cause them to change color if you click on a player..
Server UI Overhaul
For my own convenience, I’ve overhauled the server UI. It was getting very messy, which was causing me to make a lot of mistakes. So I did some cleaning up 🙂
~ Removed some of the outline to the players sprites to make them look better
~ Fixed up Node spawning (rewrote script). Before you could only have 100, now you can spawn in as many as you’d like.
+ Animals and Nodes are now assigned specific rooms.